Sick girls…

Ok, so… Faith insisted that she had strep over the weekend.  The child has yet to be wrong (maybe one negative – perhaps a false negative as she tested positive again soon after).  You probably will not be surprised that I have rapid strep tests at home – ran one – negative.  She insisted more fervently the next day… ran another that night – negative.  By Monday, there was no question for her that the strep tests were false negatives (there is about a 20% false negative rate on those) even though I checked controls on the second one.  Brought her to see our Ped today… who ran a strep test.

Does anyone care to guess the result?

Yes, that’s right… he came back in the room and announced it is positive and yes, she IS on antibiotics – and no, it is NOT a prophylactic dose, it’s a treatment dosage that just like all the others all these months – is not working (and yes, I DO know that is a run-on sentence, just in case anyone thinks I don’t know any better).

Grrrr!!!!  Not at him… her Pediatrician is a wonderful doc she has had since early infancy, but may I just say that I HATE STREP!!!  I looked back over her records to confirm what I suspected:  following her T/A (Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy) in August 2009 after which we saw improvement for several months … until she caught strep again in spring 2010… it was March 5, 2010 when she started back on the antibiotics.  It has now been over a full year since she has been able to actually clear a strep test and hold it longer than… oh say, about three days… perhaps never cleared as I didn’t always take her in the day after she completed antibiotics in the beginning.  Now, I’ve seen her test positive while on antibiotics several times.  Further, she now has a few high dose IVIG’s under her belt.

So now she is on Augmentin AND Azithromycin and we’ll check in with our Ped again as we near the end of those to determine where she is on this and what to do next.

She has thrush also…. he bumped her Culterelle (adult dosage) to three times a day instead of twice and we’re looking into Kefir grains so we can make it for her since there are more probiotics if unpasteurized, so it is more potent at helping with such issues.  Diflucan too… and immune supplements – two of them, twice daily.

Immunologist here (having terrible time reaching the one in CT) says there might be something in her labs for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and for Lyme Disease… our Ped’s office is looking into getting me the name of an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) we can see to help interpret those labs and if she needs Lyme treatment before further IVIG… which she may need more often than she is scheduled at this point since she is clearly not clearing strep yet.

Did I mention that I was up vomiting several times last night?  Obviously, recurrent strep makes me sick!!!  … in more ways than one!  😉  Initially, I thought that was a horrible migraine warning me of impending rain (yeah, I have a clever meteorology system built right in), but not so much now… still weak and a little dizzy from that but I’m loading up on the fluids and electrolytes… Mommy handbook says no sick days.

Sigh…. I am tired.  I think I am going to put the entire situation on hold for this evening and watch a movie with my little one.

Pray for us?  Please?

I do know God is with us; going to take a break and trust in Him.  ♥

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications (instant, daily, weekly or never) of new posts by email.

Join 70 other followers

Blog Stats

  • 32,274 hits
%d bloggers like this: